Thursday, February 05, 2009

A Spoonful of Empathy

Lately I've had a few challenges in my life. I've tried to be brave and patient, and I work on focusing on things I'm grateful for.

But today I mentioned my struggles in an email to a friend. When she emailed back she said, "I can't imagine how frustrating that must be!" Her empathy literally reached out of the email and hugged me.

As much as I have tried not to be a big sympathy-seeker, I confess I was about a quart low and needed a good infusion of compassion. Her words were exactly what I needed.

Lord, help me offer precious spoonfuls of empathy to my hurting friends today, as this precious friend gave to me. Help me stop myself before offering advice, explanations, or empty comparisons, ("at least your problem isn't as bad as XYZ. Could be worse.") Let me simply wrap my friends in love and say, "I can't imagine how painful that must be. I'm sorry it's so hard. I care." Thank you for my friend's example today, and how much it warmed me. Amen!

Blessings!
Sharon Hinck

7 comments:

Rel said...

Hey Shazza - sorry you have been feeling low :( I'm glad you have friends like the one you mentioned.

Lifting you in prayer to Jesus :)

Story and Logic Media Group said...

You were a blessing to me at ACFW Conference. I appreciate you so much.

I tagged your blog today. http://sharonlavy.blogspot.com/

Blazer67 said...

Sharon,
We have been having our own struggles lately relating to our five month old daughter. It has been a hard road to walk at times, but we have been so blessed by the Body of Christ, it just has been unbelievable. I echo your prayer that I would be one to offer an ear and encouragement to others in their times of trial.
Thanks and God bless you.

Sharon Hinck said...

Thanks, "Jane" (aka Rel). Praying for all of you Down Under.

Sharon, thanks SO MUCH for telling me that. I'm so glad.

Kirk, I'm sorry for your difficult road right now, but am so glad others are reaching out in loving and powerful ways. God sure reveals aspects of His tender love through His Body, doesn't He?

Cheryl Klarich said...

My prayers are with you. You are loved. Your books are a wonderful reflection of God's love and grace.
Blessings from a grateful book buddy!

Jill said...

Hi, hon. Big hugs to you today. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Much love,

Jill

Cheryl Klarich said...

Hi Sharon! I just reviewed Stepping into Sunlight on my blog.
Blessings and prayers. Cheryl