Saturday, June 28, 2008

Galleys are Done!

I began writing STEPPING INTO SUNLIGHT two and a half years ago. Last week the big envelope arrived of the galleys. Galleys are a "mock-up" of how the book will look in print, and they are my last chance to go through and hunt for typos, or little editorial changes that were made at various stages that I want to tweak. Normally I'm so sick of the manuscript by the time galleys arrive, it's a difficult chore. But I spent the last week truly enjoying the experience. I got up early each morning and sat in the back yard, listened to birds chirp, felt the warm June breeze on my face, sipped tea, and read with a red pen in my hand, and post-it flags at hand.

I always appreciate the design ideas that I see for the first time when the galleys arrive. Once again, I was delighted by the layout and the bits of art at the chapter headings.

And even though I've wrestled with this story for so long, there were scenes that really spoke to me in a fresh way. That was a rare gift.

Yesterday a friend hand-delivered the completed galleys to my publisher.

I'm celebrating that God gave me health and strength to finish rewrites this past year, and that proofing the galleys was such a happy experience this time. And I'm praying this book will give a voice to some of the "invisible wounded" who are all around us.

Here's a little info about the book - which releases in September:

A Navy chaplain’s wife witnesses a violent crime and struggles with post traumatic stress while her husband is on his first deployment. Far from family and friends, she fights to heal for the sake of her seven-year-old son, even though ordinary tasks take heroic efforts. She’s haunted by flashbacks and is tormented by fear, so she designs a project to speed her recovery: doing one small, kind act for a different person each day. Along the way, God's grace meets her in unexpected ways, and multiplies her tiny steps of kindness.

ENDORSEMENTS:

“Like Sharon Hinck’s heroine, I, too, witnessed a crime. It’s been years, but I relived every emotion along with Penny Sullivan. Told with humor and lump-in-the-throat insight, Stepping into Sunlight is a compelling story of learning to live again after trauma. This was my first Sharon Hinck novel, but it garnered her a permanent spot on my favorite authors list.”– Deborah Raney, author of A Vow to Cherish and The Clayburn Novels series

“With emotional and spiritual honesty, Stepping into Sunlight chronicles the rebirth of faith and courage in a young woman traumatized by the unthinkable. Penny, Sharon Hinck’s authentic and endearing heroine, is so convincing that I found myself, well, praying for her. That’s compelling fiction! I laughed. I cried. I asked God a lot of questions. In the end, Hinck’s concise yet poetic language ushered me into a worshipful place. Stepping into Sunlight definitely prospered my soul.” — Patti Hill, author of The Queen of Sleepy Eye



Blessings!
Sharon Hinck

The Secret Life of Becky Miller (2007 ACFW Book of the Year - 2nd place, Lit category)
Renovating Becky Miller
(2008 Audie Award Finalist, Inspirational Fiction category)
The Restorer
(2008 Christy Award Finalist, Visionary category)
The Restorer's Son (Romantic Times 4.5 stars, Reviewer's Choice Award - Road to Romance reviewers)
New Releases:
The Restorer's Journey
Symphony of Secrets

Coming Soon:
Stepping Into Sunlight

No comments: