Sunday, February 05, 2006

Christian Fiction in the News

Last week, I had a great chat with Molly Millett from the St. Paul Pioneer Press about the growth and diversity of Christian fiction. Her article appeared in the Sunday paper, and you can read it at

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/13777287.htm

There’s a brief description of THE SECRET LIFE OF BECKY MILLER, and a great quote from my editor, Charlene Patterson. Molly interviewed Carol Johnson (V.P. at Bethany House Publishing) and other Christian authors—particularly those writing chick-lit or mom-lit.

There is also a sidebar of recommended books, including BECKY MILLER, that you can view at

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/13805769.htm

Molly included this quote of mine from our interview: “So many women I know attend church and pray; faith is a normal, integral part of their lives. But in general fiction, it is often ignored or washed out of the story.”

I believe that within all good stories, there is an element of a faith journey. A character grows, changes, confronts challenges, and evaluates what really matters. In my books, I’m open with the ways that the God of the Bible intersects my characters’ lives. My hope is that this aspect of the story will not be didactic and preachy, but will convey the truthful struggles many of us face.

Want to hear more from the variety of Christians writing “lit”? Visit the Faithchicks Blog at

http://www.faithchick.com/

I post there on the first Tuesday of each month. But I enjoy reading the other posts even more. Be sure to look through the archives. Great thoughts from great ladies of faith.

1 comment:

Rachel Hauck said...

Good post. The article was good!:)

Rachel