Wednesday, March 14, 2007

God as my Restorer

God as my Restorer

While on a long weekend getaway, I was catching up on my homework for a Bible study at church and came to Deuteronomy chapter 30. I had just told my husband that I feel like I’ve lost part of who God made me to be. I’ve been exhausted, confused, unfocused – some of the passion for Him that has always burned hot inside me has felt fragmented, like a campfire kicked and scattered. In that place of need, I read Deuteronomy 30:1-3.

“When all these blessings and curses I have set before you come upon you and you take them to heart wherever the Lord your God disperses you among the nations, and when you and your children return to the Lord your God and obey him with all your heart and with all your soul according to everything I command you today, then the Lord your God will RESTORE your fortunes, and have compassion on you and gather you again from all the nations where he scattered you.”

To read about God gathering His nation Israel after they have been scattered, helped me believe He could gather the stray pieces of me from all the places I’ve dispersed them. And because I’m preparing for the release of the novel that is so dear to my heart, “The Restorer,” I sat up and gasped when I came across the word “restore,” in my reading for the day.

Then, in that wonderful way that God often reinforces something He’s speaking to my heart, the next day Ted and I read Psalm 71 as our sunrise prayer. We read a psalm for the calendar date (Psalm one on the first of the month, etc.) and this was our third month of the cycle (add 60 days to the date) and the 11th day in . . . so Psalm 71 was our scheduled Psalm.

Psalm 71:19-21
“Your righteousness reaches to the skies, O God, you who have done great things. Who, O God, is like you? Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will RESTORE my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up. You will increase my honor and comfort me once again.”

Can I get an Amen?

In the next few days, I’ll blog some of the photos from our weekend getaway, including ice floes and a bald eagle’s nest. In the meantime, I pray that whatever wounds you carry today, that God will RESTORE your soul and lead you in paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. (Psalm 23 is another great scripture on the theme of God as our Restorer.)

Blessings!
Sharon Hinck

2 comments:

Amy Wallace said...

Beautiful words from God and from your heart.

I can't wait to read The Restorer. This novel that's so dear to your heart will be a journey into God's heart because it contains so much of yours.

Blessings and prayers, my friend!

Rel said...

Lovely, Sharon :)