Monday, October 15, 2007

Soundtrack for an Autumn Day


Barber's Adagio for Strings is playing from my iTunes.

Outside, a blustery gray wind is rippling the golden prairie grasses on the far side of the pond. The tall maple in our back yard shakes like a wet dog and sheds clumps of leaves.

It's a melancholy day.

I love the Fall...the "sharpened pencils, clean notebooks, back-to-school" feeling.

I love the vibrant leaves, the scent of woodsmoke, and the harvest from my backyard garden.

Yet sometimes as Fall days grow brittle and dark,
I feel a dull ache.

I miss the people I've lost - more than in any other season.
I fear the dark cold days ahead.

Nostalgia twines around my limbs and tugs me backwards.
I feel old...

and a little lost.

So Barber's Adagio is the perfect accompaniment.

The music coaxes me to let go of another season.

No comments: